Popular Posts

Sunday, October 19, 2014

MUN Rhymes with Fun

A couple Mars days ago, I went to Earth on my flying saucer to go to school with the aliens on Earth for an Earth day, which the aliens on Earth called Friday, for the very first time ever. The people of Mars often visit the aliens on Earth. When I reached Earth, in one Mars hour, I was so surprised with what the aliens from Earth looked like. Some of them had brown skin, others had tan skin, and still others had white skin, unlike the people of Mars, who had different shades of green skin. I thought the aliens from Earth would have purple, blue, pink, orange, or green hair like us, but it turned out that most of them had brown, black, yellow, or red hair. I felt a bit out of place with my lime green skin and bright purple hair, but the aliens from Earth were very friendly and made me feel very welcome.
A few aliens with black hair asked me if I wanted to go to the Model United Nations club at 11:10 and at 2:45. I didn't know what that was about, but I decided to go there anyways. They led me to a classroom on the second floor of the school. The executive MUN members explained to me that MUN was a simulation of the United Nations, which is an organization made up of most of the countries on Earth. Each member of the MUN gets to choose to be the delegation of any country on Earth and then debate about global issues. Some of the most prominent countries were named Russia, USA, and China, which the people of Mars knew about. Those choices were taken almost immediately. Other delegates chose countries that I've never even heard of, like Liechtenstein, Senegal, and Nigeria. The delegate were all in groups of two, with placards with the name of the country they were representing written on them. The executive members gave the delegates the topic "Human Organ Trafficking," and allowed them around ten Earth minutes to do some research. I also had to participate, so I chose to be the delegation of Germany along with a girl with black hair. I didn't know much about Germany, so I did some research on Germany and human organ trafficking. Apparently there was an extreme shortage of available donor organs in Germany, but the laws against human organ trafficking were still strictly enforced. When the time was up, the delegates who wished to speak were put on the speakers list.  The delegations of Russia and USA spoke a lot, probably because they were representing two of the most prominent countries on Earth. I noticed though, that at times, some delegates would attack the delegate instead of the argument. The delegates were all beginners though, so no one said very much about their mistakes. In the beginning, I was too shy to raise my placard and speak, but towards the end, I spoke twice; once to point out that there was an extreme shortage of donor organs in Germany, and that the laws for organ trafficking should be strict nevertheless. The second time, I rebutted a country named Switzerland's argument. I don't know how well I presented my points, but an executive member told me that I had some pretty good points. I immediately decided that the next time I came back to Earth, which would be a week later, I wanted to go to MUN again.
In my opinion, pretty much everything about MUN was great; from the activities, to the members. I honestly think that there is nothing about the club that needs some improvement. I have a week until I go to MUN again, so meanwhile, why not do some research on some of Earth's countries?



1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy,
    This is a very detailed post! It was really nice how you described the appearance of the alien. The club was described well, and I like how you listed some topics that the club discussed. I think you can describe a few simple but important rules and procedures. I really like how you ended this post!

    ReplyDelete